March 2014 Connects E-Newsletter
The latest issue of Connects E-News is here! Features include:
- Celebrating National Social Work Month
- Prevalence of Child Abuse in Franklin County
- FCCS Community Partner: Royal Family KIDS of Franklin County
Accent on Kids Spring 2014
Check out the latest edition of Accent on Kids. This issue features:
- 2014 Levy to Support Children & Families
- Child Abuse Prevention Efforts Bring Awareness
- Volunteer Program Celebrates 50 Years
Wear Blue on April 9!
Show your support for child abuse prevention by wearing blue on April 9. Take a picture of yourself or your group wearing blue and we may post it on our Facebook page. Email pictures to email@example.com
Pinwheels for Prevention
Franklin County Children Services is partnering with Ohio Children's Trust Fund to promote child abuse prevention during National Child Abuse Prevention month in April, by displaying pinwheels throughout the community.
Prevalence of Child Abuse
Franklin County Children Services is committed to making the community aware of the prevalence of child abuse, as well as measures the agency is taking to ensure the safety and wellbeing of children. The agency publishes a Prevalence of Abuse statistics page with a two-year comparison each year.
March is National Social Work Month
National Social Work Month is a time to recognize social work as a 116-year-old profession, which is dedicated to improving the social conditions and quality of life of children and families. Franklin County Children Services' social workers and case workers are on the front lines each day responding to critical issues of child abuse and neglect, physical and mental disability, alcohol and substance abuse and more. They enable the agency to meet the needs of more than 30,000 children and families each year.
The needs of the community are served by 63% of FCCS staff who work directly with children and families, while the remaining 37% work in administration or support roles. In 2013, the agency completed 12,381 investigations, provided protective services for 13,622 individual family members and purchased services from 100 provider agencies.
FCCS's social workers and case workers are committed to performing their work according to the agency's guiding principles:
- We are child welfare professionals
- We honor families
- We value every child
- We value partnerships
- National Social Work Month
National Social Work Month is a time for increasing public awareness and knowledge of the profession of social work and its impact on society. Click here to learn more about social workers at FCCS.
- Volunteer and Youth Bowling
FCCS Hosts a free bowling party for agency volunteers and youth.
- Child Abuse Prevention Month
April is a time to raise awareness about child abuse. If you suspect a child is being abused, call the FCCS 24-hour Child Abuse Hotline at (614) 229-7000.
- Pinwheels for Prevention
FCCS will plant thousands of blue pinwheels, symbolizing investigated cases of abuse and neglect, throughout the central Ohio community in an effort to raise awareness about the effects of child abuse.
- Wear Blue Day
FCCS will participate in the statewide Wear Blue Day campaign to support the prevention of child abuse. Wear blue, take a group photo and email it to FCCSOutreach@fccs.co.franklin.oh.us and you may see your photo featured on our Facebook page.
- Child Abuse Prevention Breakfast
Aladdin Shrine Center (3850 Stelzer Rd, Columbus, OH 43219)
This annual event highlights child abuse prevention and the accomplishments of social work professionals, client families, youth and community advocates. College scholarships are awarded to agency youth during this event. Click here to learn more about this event.
- Volunteer Reception
The Ohio State University Union (1739 High Street,
Columbus, OH 43210)
The FCCS volunteer department will celebrate its 50th anniversary at the annual Volunteer Reception, where volunteers and mentors will receive recognition for all that they do for FCCS children.