Featured Tip - Sweet Dreams... Keeping Babies Safe
Help protect the little ones you love! Remember these important rules for safe infant sleep:
- Always follow the ABCs of safe sleep: babies are safest Alone, on their Backs, in their Cribs.
- Babies should always sleep on a firm, safety-approved crib mattress with a tightly fitted sheet. Avoid fluffy, loose bedding.
- Babies should sleep in an uncluttered crib. Keep stuffed animals, bumper pads and multiple blankets out of the crib. These things might seem cute and cuddly, but they are unsafe!
- Don't make the room too warm and don't over-bundle a sleeping baby. A good rule to remember is that if you're comfortable, the baby will be, too.
- Babies need to sleep in their crib, not in your bed, on the couch or in a car seat. Keep your baby close to you, but separate.
- Babies should sleep on their backs at all times. Remember: back to sleep, tummy to play.
- Don't ever smoke — or let anyone else smoke — around your baby. The risk of SIDS dramatically increases when infants are exposed to secondhand smoke.
For more information on infant safe sleep practices, visit www.firstcandle.org . First Candle is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to helping every baby sleep safe and sound. Click here to view a flyer on creating a safe sleep environment: English Version, Spanish Version.
For more parenting tips, click on the links below.
- Are You A Stressed Out Parent?
- Are You A Stressed Out Parent? [Spanish]
- Child Abuse is Unbearable Coloring Book
- Choose Your Partner Carefully
- Easy Ways to Eat Right
- Father Knows Best
- Home Alone
- Home Alone [Spanish]
- How to Develop a Positive Body Image
- Kids & Technology: Staying Safe
- Never Leave a Child Alone in a Car
- Parenting Teens
- Survival Tips for Parents of a New Baby
- Sweet Dreams ... Keeping Sleeping Babies Safe
- National Institute of Health - Safe Sleep Video
- The ABCs of Safe Infant Sleep Video