For More Info, Contact:
Dan Williamson, Mayor's Office, 614-645-5300
Hanna M. Greer, Franklin County,
Brittany A. Thompson, Franklin County,
Grants Awarded to Community Gardens in Time for Spring Planting
During Saturday's Earth Day celebrations at Franklin Park Conservatory, Franklin County Commissioner John O'Grady and Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman announced the organizations selected to receive support for community gardening projects this spring. Eighty three applications were submitted to the grant program established by Mayor Coleman and the Franklin County Commissioners.
"These gardens are beautifying our community while simultaneously providing access to fresh, local foods," said Mayor Coleman. "The support they are receiving is needed and well deserved."
"Each winning garden brings something different to their local community," said Commissioner Marilyn Brown. "These funds will be used to create new community gardens and to expand existing ones. Most importantly, this investment means that more people throughout Franklin County will have access to fresh and nutritious foods."
Of the 83 requests received, 60 awards were made. Awards included funding, in-kind product donations compliments of The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, access to educational programming through the Franklin Park Conservatory or a combination thereof.
"Community gardens are promoting healthy, active lifestyles and creating new, productive uses of land in urban settings," said Councilmember Priscilla R. Tyson, chair of the Finance Committee for Columbus City Council. "I am proud of the effort on behalf of our neighborhoods and corporate partners to continue and expand this program."
"Community gardening enriches lives and strengthens neighborhoods. Gardening provides exercise and relaxation. The nutritious foods combat obesity and other adverse health conditions caused by deficient diets. By sharing work, time together and surplus foods, friendships are built, communities are strengthened, and family budgets are stretched a little bit further," said Commissioner Paula Brooks.
"These grant funded community gardens do more than just grow fresh produce," said Commissioner John O'Grady. "They are creating sustainable food sources that will educate and inspire our community for years to come."
Organizations receiving awards:
- A Living Community Church Inc.
- Actors' Theatre of Columbus
- Advent United Church of Christ
- AmerCrest Improvement Group
- Arts & College Preparatory Academy
- Blendon Township
- Brown Road Community Church
- Cambodian Mutual Assistance Association
- Christ United Methodist Church
- Church of All People- Ganthers place
- Church of the Good Shepherd United Methodist Church
- Clintonville-Beechwold Community Resources Center
- Columbus Recreation and Parks Community Recreation Council- Barrack
- Columbus Recreation and Parks Community Recreation Council- Indian Mound
- Community Development for All People
- Community of Holy Rosary and St. John the Evangelist
- Community Refugee and Immigration Services, Inc.
- Concordia Lutheran Church
- Corpus Christi Church
- Epworth United Methodist Church
- Excel Preparatory Schools Inc. dba Mansion Day School
- Faith Ministries, Inc.
- First English Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Four Seasons City Farm
- Friends of Goodale Park
- Friends of St. Stephens, Inc.
- Friends of the Cultural Arts Center
- German Village Society
- Glenwood United Methodist Chruch
- Grace United Church of Christ
- Heart of Ohio Family Health Centers
- Highland West Neighbors Association
- Hilltop Christian Community Development Corporation
- Koinonia Development Corporation Reeb-Hosack Community Baptist Church
- Livingston Park Neighborhood Improvement Association
- Mount Vernon Avenue District Improvement Association, Inc.
- Nationwide Children's Hospital Foundation
- Native American Indian Center of Central Ohio
- New Harvest Urban Arts Center
- New Harvest Urban Arts Center
- Ohio Environmental Council
- Ohio Orthopedic Center of Excellence Foundation
- Olde Towne East Neighborhood Association
- Otterbein College
- Prince of Peace Lutheran Church
- Ramseyer Presbyterian Church
- Rebuilding Together Central Ohio
- Tawi Family Village
- The Homeless Families Foundation
- The Salvation Army
- Union Grove Baptist Church
- Upper Arlington Lutheran Church
- What it Takes
- Young Men's Christian Association of Central Ohio (YMCA)