About the Recorder
Terry J. Brown is Franklin County's 29th Recorder. He was elected in November, 2012 to his first 4 year term.
Although this is his first elected office, Terry has a strong record of public and community service. He has served in the office of the Franklin County Treasurer, Department of Human Resources under the Franklin County Board of Commissioners, and in the office of the Franklin County Municipal Court Clerk. He has also served on the Joint Columbus and Franklin County Housing Advisory Board, Franklin County Planning Commission, the Franklin County Joint Benefits Committee, the Franklin County Board of Revision, and as Secretary for the Central Ohio Community Improvement Corporation.
In addition to his public service Terry has also been active in the community. Mr. Brown is a graduate of Capital University where he earned his degree in Communication Studies. While at Capital he taught preschool and Vacation Bible School, and in 1998 he served as the Habitat for Humanity Collegiate Challenge Coordinator. Mr. Brown currently volunteers at Voice Corps Reading Service for the Blind, is a strong advocate for organ donation, and has served as the Treasurer for his church, St. Paul United Church of Christ.
He is a 2008 recipient of The Heart of Ohio Hero Award for the 25th Ohio House District. Terry and his partner Joel own a home together in the Westgate Park neighborhood of Columbus.
Your County Recorder
- makes a complete, accurate and permanent record of every document pertaining to the conveyance and encumbrance of land within the county
- maintains permanent land records, retains them in archival form and makes them accessible to the public
- complies with more than 1000 sections of state law in the Ohio Revised Code pertaining to the duties of the Recorder's office
- takes great care to ensure that every document received is accurately filed, recorded and indexed
- serves on the FRANKLIN COUNTY RECORDS COMMISSION which authorizes the retention of county records and determines when or how these county records may be disposed
- serves on the FRANKLIN COUNTY AUTOMATIC DATA PROCESSING BOARD which authorizes any purchase, lease or contract for data processing equipment for county offices and oversees the Franklin County Data Center
- serves as secretary and member of the FRANKLIN COUNTY MICROFILMING BOARD which authorizes any purchase, lease or contract for microfilming equipment in county offices and oversees the operation of the Franklin County Microfilming Center
- serves as Chief Administrator of the Franklin County Document Imaging Center
- collects fees for documents filed in the Recorder's office and pays these monies into the county's general fund
- maintains an accurate record of all monies appropriated to the Recorder's office for its operation
- performs all accounting functions necessary to the operation of the Recorder's office including preparation of annual budgets and reports, vouchers, purchase orders, etc., and maintains all payroll records, sick and vacation leave records and other records pertaining to the Recorder's staff
- files annually an ethics report, inventory of office equipment, affirmative action report, depository agreements for funds and every other report as required by law
- notifies the Franklin County Board of Commissioners and boards of township trustees annually of their duty to file zoning resolutions, maps and amendments