Kysten A. Palmore
Reentry Task Force Coordinator
Phone: (614) 525-5577
Fax: (614) 525-5549
Judge Timothy S. Horton
Task Force Co-Chair
Franklin County Court of Common Pleas
Task Force Co-Chair
President and CEO, Alvis House
Franklin County Homeland Security & Justice Programs
373 South Hight Street
Columbus, OH 43215
If you have made mistakes, even serious ones, there is always another chance for you. What we call failure is not the falling down but the staying down. -Mary Pickford
The Franklin County Reentry Task Force was established in 2009 to address the dramatic rise in the number of ex-offenders returning to the Franklin County community, and to overcome the fragmentation of services and lack of coordination between service providers and a lack of a leadership entity to coordinate the various services that assist ex-offenders.
Why Our Work is Important
- Ex-offenders will return to our communities and neighborhoods whether we have a plan for them to successfully reintegrate or not.
- Nationally, 1600 men and women are released from prison each day.
- Ohio alone releases more than 28,000 offenders each year.
- Franklin County has the third highest population of ex-offenders being released from incarceration in the state.
- 34,379 offenders were released from the Franklin County Jail into the communities and surrounding neighborhoods of Franklin County in 2009.
- Offenders are at the highest risk of committing a new crime or violating probation or parole immediately (within the first 3 months) following release from incarceration.
- The Bureau of Justice Statistics found that within the first six months of release, almost 30% were rearrested and the rate increases to 44% within the first year.
- Creating successful reentry programming is enhancing public safety.
- Public safety is enhanced when ex-offenders are held accountable for their behavior, receive structured supervision, monitoring and treatment within their community.
- Reentry is a component of the Smart on Crime policies that increase public safety, reduce cost and improve lives.
Current members of the Task Force include:
- Barrett, Mark - Franklin County Sheriff's Office
- Brown, Marilyn - Franklin County Board of Commissioners
- Brown, Susan - Franklin County Child Support Enforcement Agency
- Chilton, Bo - Impact Community Action Agency
- Clark, Kevin - Franklin County Municipal Court
- Coleman-Tolbert, Suzanne - Central Ohio Workforce Investment Corporation
- Crandall, Kathy - Franklin County Office of Homeland Security & Justice Programs
- Curl, Steve - Ohio Department of Youth Services
- Daniels, Michael - Franklin County Board of Commissioners
- Dittmer, Gayle - Franklin County Common Pleas Court, Probation Division
- Gammill, Steve - Columbus Police Department
- Gray, Ronald - Columbus Police Department
- Horton, Timothy (Task Force Co-Chair) - Franklin County Common Pleas Court
- Humphrey, Kim - Ohio Department of Youth Services
- Kirschman, Scott - Franklin County Prosecutor's Office
- Lomax, Dave - ODRC Adult Parole Authority
- Luken, Sally - Corporation for Supportive Housing
- McKenzie, Jane - Franklin County Prosecutor's Office
- Mills, Michelle - Columbus City Council
- Palmore, Kysten (Task Force/Reentry Coordinator) - Franklin County Office of Homeland Security & Justice Programs
- Patrick, Stephanie - ADAMH Board
- Peltcs, William - Franklin County Child Support Enforcement Agency
- Pierson, Melissa - Franklin County Office of Homeland Security & Justice Programs
- Robinson, Denise (Task Force Co-Chair) - Alvis House
- Scott, Zack - Franklin County Sheriff
- Shear, Kathi - Legal Aid Society of Columbus
- Shepherd, Kevin - Ohio Department of Youth Services
- Speaks, George - City of Columbus Division of Public Safety
- Venters, Yeura - Franklin County Public Defender's Office
- White, Marcia - Impact Community Action
Ad-hoc and Advisory Members:
- Barrows, Ted* - Franklin County Municipal Court
- Bailey, Janie - Columbus Area
- Boxill, Andrea - Franklin County Courts, Specialty Dockets
- Craycraft, Pamela - Columbus Area
- Gibson, Cindi* - Franklin County Common Pleas Court
- Gillette, Mary - Veterans Administration
- Hecker, Doc - COVA
- Hill, Carol* - Ohio Bureau of Community Sanctions
- Himsworth, James - Opening Doors of Ohio
- Hogle, Jeff - YMCA of Central Ohio
- Johnson, Michele - The EXIT Program
- Jolly, Lutrell - Goodwill Columbus
- Morgan, Leah
- Nelson-Jones, Sonja - The Firm Columbus
- Pribe, Jennifer - ODRC - Adult Parole Authority
- Richard, Caitlin - HandsOn Central Ohio
- Thomas, Eliah - RecycleForce Columbus
- Woods, Brian - MCS/T.O.U.C.H